Thursday, January 30, 2014

Leviticus 10: One Fell Swoop

Aaron’s sons Nadab and Abihu took their censers, put fire in them and added incense; and they offered unauthorized fire before the LORD, contrary to his command.  So fire came out from the presence of the LORD and consumed them, and they died before the LORD. 
Moses then said to Aaron, “This is what the LORD spoke of when he said: “‘Among those who approach me I will show myself holy; in the sight of all the people I will be honored. ’” Aaron remained silent
. - Leviticus 9:1-3 NIV

Aaron was silent. He had just seen two of his sons consumed by a fire that came out from the presence of the Lord.  Now his sons are lying dead in front of the sanctuary. Was he thinking, 'I must have done something wrong, I must not have trained my sons right'?  A myriad of thoughts must have been running through his head.  'Is it my fault that they sinned?  Is it my fault that they were show-offs?  Is it my fault that they thought the rules didn't apply to them?  Is it my fault that they did not understand how we are to approach God?  Is it my fault they did not understand the implications of God's anointing?  Is it my fault that they could not tell the difference between the holy and the profane?'

Today, we are so relaxed in how we approach God.  While the new covenant brought about by Christ's sacrifice gives us freedom from all of the old laws, it does not change the nature of God.  God is still the awesome, mighty, everlasting creator of the universe that he has always been.  He is still the Great I Am.  It would still behoove us to approach him with the awe and wonder that he deserves.  Even today, he can destroy any of us with one fell swoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment