Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Genesis 1: In the Beginning

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. -Gen. 1:1-2 KJV

In the beginning,...I begin my year as I have done so many times since the 1980's.  I begin at the beginning in my walk through the Bible and my journey is new each year.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
The same was in the beginning with God.
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. - John 1:1-5 KJV

In the beginning...both the Old and the New testaments begin the same way.  Matthew traces the geneology of Jesus from Adam and Eve or at least from Abraham.  Mark starts with the words "The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;" but John starts at the beginning with the same words as found in Genesis...in the beginning.  If I were a learned theologian,  I might say that John is using some kind of literary device, but for me it is truth.  In the beginng was the Word.  The same word that spoke and brought life to a dark sphere floating in the vast universe.  The word which also became the light ofthe world.

In the beginning...and it rings true with me, because it is my story as well.  In the beginning the earth was without form and void.  In the beginning darkess covers the earth, a story I know well because it is the theme story of my life.  A life without form and void, covered by darkness, until I hear the words spoken that bring me to life.  In the beginning  God created the heavens and the earth.  How do I know this is true?  I know because he created a new life in me as well.  That is all I need to know as I begin a new year.  It is Jesus Christ who makes all things.  It is Jesus Christ who makes all things new.

No comments:

Post a Comment