Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Revelations 22: Trustworthy and True


The angel said to me, “These words are trustworthy and true. The Lord, the God of the spirits of the prophets, sent his angel to show his servants the things that must soon take place.”
“Behold, I am coming soon! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy in this book.”

I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I had heard and seen them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who had been showing them to me. But he said to me, “Do not do it! I am a fellow servant with you and with your brothers the prophets and of all who keep the words of this book. Worship God!”

Then he told me, “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, because the time is near. Let him who does wrong continue to do wrong; let him who is vile continue to be vile; let him who does right continue to do right; and let him who is holy continue to be holy."

"Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
 -Rev. 22:6-13 NIV

Years ago, I had a friend tell me, "There are no honorable people left."  He was referring to those in the business environment, but it seems to me that can be said of the whole of society now days.  History has shown that the human race cannot be trusted.  We all operate out of our own selfish motives. Even those of us who claim to be followers of Christ.  There is only one who is honorable, worthy of honor.  There is only one who is trustworthy and true.

We have a tendency to look at the Bible in respect to ourselves.  Am I living the life I am called to?What are the promises for me?  How am I supposed to live?  How do I get healing?  How do I become prosperous?   How do I remain faithful?  What is going to happen to this world?  And on and on and on.  But, Revelations, as John states in Chapter one, and I would assert, the entire Bible, is not about us.  It is God's story.  It is the story of a being with such power and majesty that the ancients found themselves unable to utter his name.   It is the story of creatures who would forever try to usurp his authority, who would forever imagine that they were operating on the same plane.  It is the story of a creator and his unfailing love for his unfaithful creation. 

Yet for all our misappropriation of the true story, one fact remains.  These words are trustworthy and true...he is the Alpha and Omega, he is the First and the Last,  he is the Beginning and the End and he is coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment