Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Colossians: The Experience of Grace

 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ. -Col. 2:8 NIV

Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: "Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!”? These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self–imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence. -Col. 2:20-23 NIV

 Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone. -Col. 4:6-6 NIV

Paul had never been to Colossae, but he writes to the church there as if he knew them intimately.  In the same sense, these scriptures seem to know me as well.  I was raised in a very legalistic environment:  "Don't do this, don't do that." My aunt once told me that my parents believed they were raising the perfect Christians.  We turned out to be perfect all right, perfect sinners.  As if our adherence to the rules would draw anyone to the truth of the gospel.  In fact the very opposite occurred.  My attempts at perfection took me in the opposite direction.  When I realized that one of the rules did to make sense, that by observing that rule, I did not become a better person, all of the rest of the regulations became suspect.

It was years before I realized that I had to allow grace in my life.  I could regret all of those years when I was estranged from God, but he brought me through.  He kept me safe until I could see the truth of the gospel message for what it was:  freedom, freedom from my sins and the burden of those sins.  As Romans 8:20 says, "But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound."  I thank God now for those years.  They have given me the right perspective with which to witness to a hurt and dying world.  A perspective that many Christians, who have never wandered away, do not have.  Like Paul, I truly know what grace is, grace and mercy, because I have experienced it in my own life.



No comments:

Post a Comment