Saturday, December 7, 2013

Galatians: He Has Broken the Chains

I am crucified with Christ: neverthless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 
I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain
. - Galatians 2:20-21 KJV

Paul understood the tension between law and grace.  Obeying the law does not give us righteousness.  In fact, the more we understand the law, the more we become aware that we can never meet all of it's provisions.  We can never obtain righteousness on our own.  The law is the standard, but if we are truthful, we will admit that we are hopeless, that all of our attempts to carry out the conditions of the law are futile.  All we can do is confess we are hopeless, cry for forgiveness, and accept Christ's sacrifice as our fulfillment of the law.  Without the cross, we have no hope.  But as Paul says, Praise God that His Son, Jesus Christ, did not die in vain.  By faith, we have obtained the key that unlocks all of the chains of sin that once bound us.  Christ has broken the chains.

Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed.   So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. - Galatians 3:23-24 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment