Monday, December 9, 2013

Philippians 3: Do We Really Want to Know Christ?

I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, - Philippians 3:10 NIV

We say we want to know Christ, we ask for him to be revealed, but do we really want that?  Years ago, during my devotional time, I told the Lord that I wanted to be like Jesus and ask for him to show me what that would look like.  Immediately, I saw a silhouette of Jesus carrying the cross up a hill.  I'm afraid that's as close as most of us get or even desire to be; a silhouette, or perhaps a bas relief of Jesus' suffering, but nothing more clearly defined.  We don't mind suffering, but don't want to do it that much.  We don't want it to become a habit. 

Few of us have come as close as the Apostle Paul as far as suffering is concerned.  Few of us have been ridiculed, beaten, shipwrecked, jailed, and finally put to death for the gospel.  At the most, we might have our reputation or political affiliation questioned while we continue to live our lives of comfort and downright affluence compared to what Paul endured.  When Paul says, becoming like him in his death, he means being willing to be crucified, to lose our life, when we are not willing to even be crucified on the cross of popular opinion. 

Yes, there are a few martyrs for the faith, even in this day; people who are willing to give their own lives for the truth of the gospel, but I question whether most of us, myself included, have that courage.  No matter how much we say it is our hearts desire, it may not be possible to fully know Christ and the power of his resurrection without sharing in his sufferings.

No comments:

Post a Comment