Friday, December 13, 2013

1 Timothy: The Gospel in a Nutshell


Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen. -1 Tim. 1:15-17 NIV

This is the gospel in a nutshell, at least as far as I am concerned.  Others may have found the truth and never strayed from that path, but it was never that simple for me.  Not only did I have to be shown, but I had to experience the depth to which one is able to sink in order to recognize my need for a savior.  Jesus came for those chief sinners, of whom, like the apostle Paul, I was one.  What I have difficulty accepting sometimes is that he also came for those who never felt the powerful draw of sin, those for whom living a pure life was never an issue.  I may never be able to understand how they could live such blameless lives without succumbing to temptation as I was, and always have been, prone to do, but I know they are no closer to salvation than I am.  We all sin, we all fall short.  Some of us are more outlandish than others, but we all sin and we all require God's mercy and grace.  What a mighty Savior we have, what a mighty God we serve.  One who as Paul says has shown unlimited patience with us.  Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment