Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Esther: If I perish, I perish

For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?”
Then Esther sent this reply to Mordecai:  “Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my maids will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish.” - Esther 4:14-16 NIV

The history of the Jewish people might have been quite different were it not for Esther and her willingness to act against injustice.  She knew she was risking her life, yet, in she stepped into danger for the greater good, realizing that it was more than her life that was at risk. The lives of all her fellow Jews were at risk unless she acted.  As Mordecai said, "who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?”

These verses remind me of a song written by Derek Loux:

save me from comfort
paper religion
false conversion
make me stand
give me the privilege of suffering with you
that we’d see your glory fill this land
don’t let me perish for lack of vision
the days of peace on earth are few
save me from the famine of revelation
on the horizon the storm clouds brew
who will tarry with me for an hour
who will find out how my heart is breaking
who will tarry with me for an hour
who will be my friend
who will tarry with me for an hour
must i tread the grapes of wrath alone
who will tarry with me for an hour
who will be my friend
will you prepare the way of the lord
will you cry in the wilderness
will you prepare the way of the lord
will you be his friend

if i perish then i perish i am yours i am yours




In 2009 a few days before Christmas, Derek lost his life in a tragic car accident while coming back from a conference focused on rescuing girls from sex slavery, leaving his wife with ten children, most of whom were adopted out of extenuating circumstances.  Derek was one who refused to be silent.  His wife, Renee went on to adopt three more children in need and the Orphan Justice Center which they founded is still going strong, rescuing the helpless.

Who knows?  We are all called to leave our comfort zones, we are all called to fight injustice.  Our lives will always be in the hands of the Father, even if we perish.

No comments:

Post a Comment