Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Luke 12: Where Your Treasure Is

But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well. 
“Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 
Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also
. - Luke 12:31-34 NIV

I play a lot of computer games.  That may sound silly, but it is my confession and I suppose I could also confess that they have become an idol.  Instead of finding fulfillment, I find that the more I concentrate on the games, the more depressed I become.  Just like a drug addict, they do not satisfy, but leave me nervous and wanting for more, never to be satisfied.

That is not true of spending time with God and in his word.  The more time I spend there, the better my energy and outlook on life become.  The things of this world seem to melt away and I can see clearly what life is supposed to be and even what I am supposed to be doing.  It is only in seeking the kingdom of God that we find satisfaction.  Nothing else compares.  Nothing else is more beautiful.  Anything else is a very poor substitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment