Monday, September 30, 2013

Job 8-14: Though He Slay Me

Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him; I will surely defend my ways to his face. - Job 13:15 NIV

Job's sentiments would be admirable except for one neglected fact.  It was never God's intention to slay Job.  In fact, while God did give Satan permission to bring any destruction he chose against Job he was told that he could not kill him. The Lord said to Satan, “Very well, then, he is in your hands, but you must spare his life.” - Job 2:6 NIV

God does not mean harm to us.  Sometimes, he will let misfortune come our way in order for us to learn a lesson, or to be moved to a safer place, but he never harms us for sport.  That is the devil's work and we need to recognize his attacks when they come our way for what they are.  Is it easy to tell the difference?  Look at Job, a man who "was blameless and upright he feared God and shunned evil. (Job 1:1 NIV)  Even the blameless are tormented by the devil  In fact, they may be more open to his persecution because of their close relationship with God, and sometimes they may be the ones who have the most trouble differentiating between the work of God and the work of the devil. 

What re we supposed to do?  God says to resist the devil and he will flee from you, but first you have to recognize when it is the enemy.  For me, the only solution is to stay close to the Father and to do as Job did, live as blameless a life as possible.  Perhaps if I resist the devil in those areas of my life where I know he can trap me, I will develop the wisdom to discern when it is his attack versus God's working in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment