Monday, September 9, 2013

Luke 14: If the Shoe Fits


“Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Will he not first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand?
If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace.
- Luke 14:31-32 NIV
For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.” - Luke 14:11 NIV

It doesn't take much imagination to apply this to our current political position, or even political posturing that is a distant memory, as in the alleged incident of Kruschev banging his shoe at the United Nations.  As in every case, though, I have to relate what Jesus is trying to say to my own personal life, so I have to ask where do I go to war without first trying to make peace. I think back on the times when I have gone warring on matters that in retrospect seem very petty.  I have come close to ruining friendships and work relationships over issues that could have been discussed thoroughly and coherently.  Many times when I encountered opposition, I told myself I will take the "high road".  I will consider the consequences and look for any concession.   I will be gracious and explore all of the alternatives. I will love my enemies and do good to those who hate me.  Sometimes I even put up a good front while internally I am banging my shoe at the offender and maintaining my superior self worth

 I'm no longer sure that there are any reasons for going to war on a national or personal level.  It seems to make fools of us all which in itself can be very humbling.  Just like the politicians, I have a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment