Monday, September 12, 2011

Ezekiel 10-11: An Undivided Heart

I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh. Then they will follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. They will be my people, and I will be their God. - Ezek. 11:19-20 NIV

What Ezekiel heard the Lord say, remains God's desire for us to this day.  That we would cry out, "Take this heart of stone and give me a heart of flesh."   That was the cry of the Psalmist,  Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 51:10) and has been the cry that God is listening for down through the centuries.  Cleanse us, Lord God.  We cannot cleanse ourselves.  Heal us, Lord God, we cannot heal ourselves.  And if we cannot cleanse or heal ourselves, we cannot cleanse or heal our land.  These matters of the heart are not something we can will.  They are something we can long for, cry out for, but we cannot will a clean heart or a right spirit on our own.  Only the overpowering, merciful, forgiving love of God can change our heart.  That needs to be the cry for today.  Before we cry for God to heal our land, we need to cry for God to heal our heart.  To take away the part of our heart that clings to the things of this world and give us a heart that is true.  Only then can we ask God to cleanse and heal our land.

2010 Post - Ezekiel 10-11:  The Glory Leaves the Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment