Monday, October 3, 2011

Hosea 9-11: What is Righteousness?

Sow for yourselves righteousness,
   reap the fruit of unfailing love,
and break up your unplowed ground;
   for it is time to seek the LORD,
until he comes
   and showers righteousness on you. - Hosea 10:12 NIV

I wish I knew the definition of righteousness.  I know that I don't have it.  As it is written: “There is no one righteous, not even one; (Romans 3:10 NIV)  I also know that it is, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; (Titus 3:5 KJV). I know that we have  a limited view of righteousness if we think it is only good living.  I know that most of us have the self-righteous part down, but are missing something when it comes to being righteous.  That's obvious from the fruit which we are reaping which is not the fruit of unfailing love.  I know that I still have a lot of unplowed ground in my life, all those fields and leftover patches of hard places where I let no one else enter, especially God.  I think that breaking up all of that hardness may have a lot to do with righteousness.  I think that righteousness is a matter of the heart, of how vulnerable we are to God more than what our outward actions would imply.  I know that I want God to shower righteousness on me, so I still have a lot of work to do.
2010 Post - Hosea 9-11:  Sow for Yourself Righteousness

No comments:

Post a Comment