Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Matthew 10-12: Where is the Love?

At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.
    “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
    “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” - Matt. 11:25-30 NIV

Contrary to what you would hear on many sides today, Jesus' gospel was not an argumentative gospel.  It was primarily a gospel of peace.  As he told his disciples "As you enter the home, give it your greeting.  If the home is deserving, let your peace rest on it; if it is not, let your peace return to you. (Matt: 10:12-13 NIV)   I fear, we've forgotten how to let our peace rest on others and as a result, it leaves us as well.  Lightly, lightly, is how we were to go about our lives.  Lightly.  If someone wants something from us, give it to them.  Everything is only temporary, but we all have a tendency to get wrapped up in this life, in this body and we lose something in the process.  Don't worry about those who can kill the body, but worry about those who can kill the soul.  Where does that put a lot of Christians?  Are we soul-killers?  Most of the time, our actions are because we believe we are doing right  We're fighting for the cause, we're protecting the truth, God's truth.  In the end, all we become is weary and heavy laden.  That's not what Christ called us to do or be.  He called us to lay it all down:  all of our burdens, all of our efforts, all of our arguments.  Lay it all down and take his yoke.  His yoke of gentleness and humility and we will find rest.  Why is it so hard to take up a yoke that is so easy, a burden that is so light?


2010 Post - Matthew 10-12:  The Kingdom of Heaven is Near

No comments:

Post a Comment