Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Micah 5-7: Who is a God like you?

With what shall I come before the LORD
   and bow down before the exalted God?
Shall I come before him with burnt offerings,
   with calves a year old?
Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams,
   with ten thousand rivers of oil?
Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression,
   the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?
He has showed you, O man, what is good.
   And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
   and to walk humbly with your God
.  - Micah 6:6-8 NIV

God doesn't demand much of us.  The most sinless life, the best worship and praise band, the biggest sanctuary, the largest offering, none of that impresses him.  He's looking for us to be like him, to be like him in spirit and in deed.  As Jesus said, it's what's inside a man that makes him unclean.  It's that jealousy, malice, greed that separates us from the God who calls us to act justly, love mercy and walk humbly.  That shouldn't be too hard to do. God is not a god of stone that sits there wordlessly and gives us no indication of how we are to live.  God demonstrates how we are to live over and over again .  At least he has done so in my life.  He has been nothing but merciful to me.  He has showered me with compassion when I didn't deserve it.  He has thrown my sins as far as the east is from the west.  He has delivered me from the depths. What should our response be? 

Who is a God like you,
   who pardons sin and forgives the transgression
   of the remnant of his inheritance?
You do not stay angry forever
   but delight to show mercy.
You will again have compassion on us;
   you will tread our sins underfoot
   and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea
- Micah 7:18-19 NIV

2010 Post - Micah 5-7:  He Will Be Their Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment