Thursday, October 20, 2011

Zechariah 10-14: They Will Mourn and Grieve Bitterly

“And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplication. They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son. - Zech. 12:10 NIV

For all the times I have read through the Old Testament, I don't think I have ever noticed this verse.  There are many other verses in Zechariah that point to the Savior, to Jesus such as these two references:

I told them, “If you think it best, give me my pay; but if not, keep it.” So they paid me thirty pieces of silver.
And the LORD said to me, “Throw it to the potter”—the handsome price at which they priced me! So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them into the house of the LORD to the potter. - Zech. 11:12-13 NIV

“On that day a fountain will be opened to the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, to cleanse them from sin and impurity. - Zechariah 13:1 NIV


Never, though, have I read the above verse and realized what lies ahead for the people of Israel, for the remnant that remains.  Someday, they will receive a spirit of grace and supplication.  The scales will fall from their eyes and they will see Jesus for who he really is.  They will realize he was their Messiah after all.  They will realize what he did for them and for the whole earth.  They will mourn and grieve, not just for the way he died, but for all the lost years, for all the years that were wasted because they could not acknowledge that he was their king.
2010 Post - Zechariah 10-14:  The Coming Day of the Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment