Friday, October 21, 2011

Malachi 1-4: Return to Me and I Will Return to You

“For the lips of a priest ought to preserve knowledge, and from his mouth men should seek instruction—because he is the messenger of the LORD Almighty.  But you have turned from the way and by your teaching have caused many to stumble; you have violated the covenant with Levi,” says the LORD Almighty. “So I have caused you to be despised and humiliated before all the people, because you have not followed my ways but have shown partiality in matters of the law.”  - Malachi 2:7-9 NIV

These words from Malachi, one whose name means 'my messenger' were written as he heard the word of the Lord in aniticipation of the one who would come.  A new high priest was coming, one who could not be corrupted, one who would not offer an unacceptable sacrifice.  Then as now, many of those who should have been the servants of God, served their own purposes.  "You have robbed me", God told them.  "You have wearied me with your words."  "You flood the Lord's altar with tears because your petitions are not answered."

"All of this is in vain", God told the priests.  "You have turned from what I called you to do and instead have caused many to stumble.  But, I have seen through you, and even the people of the world see through you. They despise you because you do not live out what you profess, but, you are not without hope."

 “So I will come near to you for judgment. I will be quick to testify against sorcerers, adulterers and perjurers, against those who defraud laborers of their wages, who oppress the widows and the fatherless, and deprive aliens of justice, but do not fear me,” says the LORD Almighty.
  “I the LORD do not change. So you, O descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed. Ever since the time of your forefathers you have turned away from my decrees and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you,” says the LORD Almighty. - Malachi 3:5-7 NIV

"Return to me", God says.  "Return to me and I will return to you.  Don't turn to any others, turn, return to me."

2010 Post - Malachi 1-4:  You Cannot Rob God

No comments:

Post a Comment