Sunday, October 30, 2011

Matthew 23-25: Judged by our Deeds

When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
  “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
   “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
   “The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’ - Matt. 25:31-40 NIV

It is our deeds that we will be judged by, but many of us have the wrong idea of what that means; living a blameless, sinless, life.  That would be great if it was within our power to do so, but it is not.  For that, we have to fall on God's grace and accept the redemptive blood of his Son.  So, if we are not capable of saving ourselves, we will be judged righteous by the one thing that we are capable of doing:  giving food to the hungry, drink to the thirsty, shelter to the homeless, clothing to those without, comfort to those who are sick and companionship to those in prison.  Look around, there's much to be done and it is being done by only a few. I see a lot of Christians who want to serve God to the sound of fanfare.  Most of the time, the ones who are doing the things God requires are those who want and receive little notice.  They quietly serve God as he positions himself in their midst.  Whatever they do for the least, they are doing for God.  We can be blessed here or blessed in heaven.  Are we doing the right things?

2010 Post - Matthew 23-25:  The End of Time

No comments:

Post a Comment