Friday, June 4, 2010

Psalm 41-46: Deep calls to Deep


As the deer panteth for the water, so my soul longeth after you,
You alone are my hearts desire and I long to worship you.

There is this longing inside all of us. A longing that has been with us from the beginning of time, for something that we can't describe, but something that we know will fill in all of the missing pieces.  'Why are you downcast, o my soul?' the Psalmist asks.  But then he realizes immediately what is missing. 

Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.
My  soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you
from the land of the Jordan, the heights of Hermon—from Mount Mizar.
Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls;
all your waves and breakers have swept over me. - Ps. 41:5-7 NIV

We all have that deep place within us.  That bottomless well that is never filled completely.  We all thirst and pant for the living water.  And like the Psalmist, many have known where that thirst can be satisfied.

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells. - Ps. 46:4 NIV

Where the Most High dwells, in the presence of a Holy God, is where we find all we need.  That's where the deep need within us meets God's deep ability to fill up al the empty places.

No comments:

Post a Comment