Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Psalms 61-65: God is Love

One thing God has spoken,
two things have I heard:
that you, O God, are strong,
and that you, O Lord, are loving. - Ps. 62:11-12 NIV

I have tried to keep myself out of these devotionals, to only look at the history, the story of God and His people.  But, once you start reading the Psalms, it becomes almost impossible.  The Psalms are so personal.  They tell of not just the history of the children of Israel, but of the relationship between the psalmists and their God.  In a sense, they are telling all of our stories.  They decry their weaknesses and the enemies arrayed against them.  They sing of God's strength, protection, and majesty.  And so, these psalms become our songs as well.

Our pastor's wife wrote this song with words taken from Psalms 63 after two of their children died during the time they were serving God on the mission field.

Oh my God, I have searched for you
In this dry and thirsty land
I wait quietly, for you are my hope
Then I remember this one thing.
I have seen you in your sanctuary
Gazed upon your power and your glory.
Your unfailing love is better to me than life itself
I will lift my hands to honor and praise you
You alone are my Redeemer
I sing for joy in the shadow of your wings.

Even when we feel abandoned by the world, life, the circumstances around us, we still have this knowledge, that we are loved, that there is always a rock that is higher than us, a refuge, a strong tower.  And that rock is the definition of love itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment