Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Psalms 119: A Blessed Life

The first thing that comes to mind about the 119th Psalm is that it is long, 176 verses in all.  It is hard for us to comprehend a comprehensive thought of that length.  On closer inspection, you find that each section from Aleph to Taw consists of eight verses .  Each section is named for a letter of the Hebrew alphabet and is in alphabetic order.  In addition, in the original Hebrew, each verse within the section began with the corresponding letter of the Hebrew alphabet.  This structure, however, should not take away from the depth of the content.

Look closely and you can see the map of a man's life, from youth to old age.  You can see the stages of life that we go through.  It starts out with a young man who is seeking to follow God, who is storing up God's decrees in order to follow them for the rest of his life, to the .

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word.
I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
Praise be to you, O LORD; teach me your decrees. - Ps. 119:9-11 NIV

Further on in the psalm you see that the man who has been following God is tested and has to rely on what he learned as a youth.

Though the arrogant have smeared me with lies,
I keep your precepts with all my heart.
Their hearts are callous and unfeeling, but I delight in your law.
It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees. - Ps. 119:69-71NIV

And when he is older, he longs for peace and salvation and waits in anticipation for the next thing that God has for him.

I rejoice in your promise like one who finds great spoil.
I hate and abhor falsehood but I love your law.
Seven times a day I praise you for your righteous laws.
Great peace have they who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble.
I wait for your salvation, O LORD, and I follow your commands. - Ps. 119:162-166 NIV

Throughout all of these verses as Charles Spurgeon points out, there are three main themes:  prayer, praise and testimony.  A fitting reminder that that is how we are to live our daily lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment