Monday, June 7, 2010

Psalms 56-60: Be Exalted O God



I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations;
I will sing of you among the peoples.
For great is your love, reaching to the heavens;
your faithfulness reaches to the skies.
Be exalted, O God, above the heavens;
let your glory be over all the earth. - Ps. 57: 9-11

Did the psalmists, when they were composing these psalms over 2000 years ago, realize what timeless refrains they were creating.  Did they realize that these words would be translated into thousands of languages, read and sung by millions.  Or were they just expressing the universal truths of their time which, by no accident are the universal truths of our time as well.  They could not have anticipated this world, which is so different in technology and resources from theirs.  They could not conceived of a time where we would see and communicate around the world instantaneously.  They may not have even known that the world was round or that there were people of different ethnicities.

All they knew were their circumstances and their God.  They knew about being pursued by their enemies and by sin.  They knew about bloodthirsty men who lay in wait for them.  And they knew the one they could trust.
Be merciful to me, O God, for men hotly pursue me;
all day long they press their attack.
My slanderers pursue me all day long;
many are attacking me in their pride. -
When I am afraid, I will trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise,
in God I trust; I will not be afraid.
What can mortal man do to me? - Ps. 56:1-4

The same need that drew men to God in ancient times, is the same need that draws all who will come to Him in this day as well.  And in response to his mighty power to preserve those who put their trust in him, even today, all of his children throughout the nations, can do nothing but praise and exalt Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment