Monday, June 28, 2010

Psalms 139-143: Surrounded

When we really get serious about knowing God, we realize that it is He who has known us all along. 

O LORD, you have searched me
and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O LORD.
You hem me in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain. - Ps. 139:1-6 NIV

To know God as he knows us is too much for most of us to contemplate.  It is more than seeing the world through God's eyes.  To know God as he knows us is to have his thoughts be our thoughts.  It would have been impossible for the ancients to experience that type of relationship, but the Word became flesh and dwelt among men, and it was no longer impossible to say we know what God is like.  Furthermore, to solidify that memory, when the Son returned to the Father, he sent His Spirit to dwell in us, so we can know the heart of God.  And that Spirit, the one that cries 'Abba, Father', creates a desire in us that will never be satisfied until we know God as we are known.

No comments:

Post a Comment