Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Psalms 28-31: Ascribe to the Lord

To you I call, O LORD my Rock; do not turn a deaf ear to me.
For if you remain silent, I will be like those who have gone down to the pit.
Hear my cry for mercy as I call to you for help,
as I lift up my hands toward your Most Holy Place. - Ps 28:1-2 NIV

Ascribe to the LORD, O mighty ones,
ascribe to the LORD glory and strength.
Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name;
worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness. Ps.29:1-2 NIV

For his anger lasts only a moment,
but his favor lasts a lifetime;
weeping may remain for a night,
but rejoicing comes in the morning. - Ps. 30:5 NIV

You turned my wailing into dancing;
you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.
O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever. - Ps. 30:11-12NIV

How great is your goodness,
which you have stored up for those who fear you,
which you bestow in the sight of men
on those who take refuge in you. - Ps. 31:19 NIV

These verses describe David's life and the life of many of God's people through the years.  When we're beset upon by circumstances, our first instinct is to cry for help.  But as David learned, that cry for help must eventually turn to praise.  He knew he had to ascribe glory to God.  There was nothing else he could do, but cry, 'Holy, Holy, Holy.'  That always brings us to the end of ourselves and we see God as he truly is. And in that moment, our circumstances change.  Our wailing becomes dancing.  We throw off our sackcloth and take up the joy that comes from being totally consumed by God, the one who formed us, the one who loved us from the beginning.  Then, even in the midst of the storm, we can say, 'How great is our God!'

No comments:

Post a Comment