Saturday, June 19, 2010

Psalms 100-103: From Everlasting to Everlasting

Hear my prayer, O LORD; let my cry for help come to you.
Do not hide your face from me when I am in distress.
Turn your ear to me; when I call, answer me quickly.
For my days vanish like smoke; my bones burn like glowing embers.
My heart is blighted and withered like grass; I forget to eat my food.
Because of my loud groaning I am reduced to skin and bones. - Ps. 102:1-5 NIV

Anyone who has had major surgery or suffered a catastrophic injury knows what it is like to be in a seemingly endless distress.  Each fog filled day is followed by another and it seems there is no end in sight.  The things that once were pleasing, a good meal, a soothing song, the face of a loved one, cannot touch you as they once did.  And so the Psalmist cries, 'In the course of my life he broke my strength; he cut short my days....In the beginning you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands.They will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment. Like clothing you will change them and they will be discarded. But you remain the same, and your years will never end. - Ps. 102:23-27 NIV

for he knows how we are formed,
he remembers that we are dust.
As for man, his days are like grass,
he flourishes like a flower of the field;
the wind blows over it and it is gone,
and its place remembers it no more.
But from everlasting to everlasting
the LORD's love is with those who fear him,
and his righteousness with their children's children- Ps. 103:14-17 NIV

In the midst of our pain and suffering, the Lord's love is wrapped around us.  The love of the one who created us is unfailing, it never changes, it will never end.

No comments:

Post a Comment