Saturday, June 4, 2011

Psalms 32-36: The Blessed Life

 Blessed is he
   whose transgressions are forgiven,
   whose sins are covered
.
Blessed is the man
   whose sin the LORD does not count against him
   and in whose spirit is no deceit.

When I kept silent,
   my bones wasted away
   through my groaning all day long.
For day and night
   your hand was heavy upon me;
my strength was sapped
   as in the heat of summer. 

Then I acknowledged my sin to you
   and did not cover up my iniquity.
I said, “I will confess
   my transgressions to the LORD”—
and you forgave
   the guilt of my sin.
- Ps. 32:1-5 NIV

David knew something that we often forget.  It's not our circumstances that determine whether or not we are blessed, but our if our transgressions have been forgiven.  Those of us who have found forgiveness, often forget what we are capable of and as David experienced, when we try to cover up those sins, to pretend that they don't exist, we become consumed by the very sin that we try to ignore.  And even worse, the 'hound of heaven' will not let us rest in peace until we acknowledge that sin and refuse to cover it up any longer.  In order to have our sins forgiven, we have to acknowledge them.  God is always aware of the state of our heart, we're the ones that don't want to see it.  It's only by confessing and asking forgiveness that we enter into the blessed life.

2010 Post -Psalms 32-36:  God's Limitless Love

No comments:

Post a Comment