Sunday, June 26, 2011

Psalms 139-143: On Level Ground

Show me the way I should go,
   for to you I lift up my soul.
Rescue me from my enemies, O LORD,
   for I hide myself in you.
Teach me to do your will,
   for you are my God;
may your good Spirit
   lead me on level ground.
- Ps. 143:8-10 NIV

We live in a town that is relatively flat like a lot of other towns in Kansas.  It's great for bicycling as seldom do you have to strain at a steep hill, but for a lot of people, it's rather boring.  It's that way with our lives as well.  Most of us go out of our way to keep from living boring lives.  That's especially true of the young and all of the self inflicted drama that patterns their lives.  While most people tire of the roller coaster life while still relatively young and settle down to lives of average boredom, some of us chase after the excitement well past our prime.  It doesn't make us more useful to God or even ourselves, our lives are just more challenging.  Then, one day we wake up and realize that excitement and drama are not the be all and end all.  In fact, that adrenalin rush we crave may become our downfall.

The Psalmist knew what he was talking about when he asked God to lead him on level ground.  That's where the solid footing is.  That's where we walk safely and effortlessly.  That's where we learn to submit totally to God's will and let him orchestrate our lives.  That's where the music becomes a symphony instead of a rock concert.

2010 Post - Psalms 139-143:  Surrounded

No comments:

Post a Comment