Friday, June 3, 2011

Psalms 28-31: Out of the Depths

 Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness;
 To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever. - Ps. 30:11-12 KJV

Years ago, we sang an old chorus with these words.  Just as I no longer recall those old choruses, I often forget all that God has done for me.  There have been times in my life when I was clothed in sackcloth and ashes, when I was surrounded by depths of darkness so deep I saw no hope for survival.  But God did turning my mourning into dancing and has blessed me so richly that I seldom remember those days.  Unfortunately, I also forget the dancing days, the celebration, the gladness I experienced when God brought me out.  In that sense, I guess I'm just like the Children of Israel who forgot all about their deliverance from Egypt. 

There is no way I can ever repay the Lord for what he has done, for all the blessings he has bestowed, but, I can give thanks forever as David said:  I will exalt you, O LORD,  for you lifted me out of the depths . - PS 30:1 NIV
2010 Post - Psalms 28-31:  Ascribe to the Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment