Friday, June 17, 2011

Psalms 94-99: God, OUr Deliverer

Unless the LORD had been my help, my soul had almost dwelt in silence.
When I said, My foot slippeth; thy mercy, O LORD, held me up.
 In the multitude of my thoughts within me thy comforts delight my soul. - PS 94:17-19 KJV

For thou, LORD, art high above all the earth: thou art exalted far above all gods.
Ye that love the LORD, hate evil: he preserveth the souls of his saints; he delivereth them out of the hand of the wicked. - PS. 97:9-10 KJV

Sometimes I think we lose something in translation.  The newer versions of the Bible may be more accurate as far as the specific meaning of a phrase or in making it more user friendly, but there is something in the poetic that speaks to us on a deeper level and that is especially true in the Psalms.

When the Psalmist says 'in the multitude of my thoughts within me' I know exactly what he means.  My thoughts tumble and rage; sometimes I can find no peace from all the worries and concerns of the day and the future.  It is then, if I will leave all of that behind and run to the Lord that I am comforted.  God preserves my soul.  Not only does he deliver me out of the hand of the wicked, but he delivers me from my self.

 2010 Post - Psalms 94-99:  Sing, The Lord Reigns,

No comments:

Post a Comment