Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Psalms 51-55: The Joy of God's Salvation

Create in me a pure heart, O God,
   and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me from your presence
   or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation
   and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
- Ps. 51:10-12 NIV

Do I really want a clean heart or am I satisfied that everyone around me thinks that I am pure and good.  David was in a place where his sin was found out.  Not only was his sin not hidden from God, but it was exposed to the prophet Nathan as well.  Most of us are more fortunate than that.  Our sins, the most vilest sort as opposed to the obvious ones, remain hidden for the most part.  It is the secret sins of bitterness, pride, idolatry, hatred, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, and envy that usually remain hidden from most of those around us; yet they are the most egregious.

Regardless of what we may gain from these secret sins, they will never provide the thing we desire most, the joy of God's salvation.  To think otherwise is only one more self-delusion.

2010 Post - Psalms 51-55:  A Matter of the Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment