Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Psalms 20-22: “Eloi, Eloi,lama sabachthani?

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? - Ps. 22:1 NIV

As so often happens in Old Testament writing and prophecy, there is a forth telling and a foretelling.  There is a depiction of the situation in the present, in the near future, and in the future to come.  David penned these words from his own circumstances and yet they are a preview of the death of Jesus.  'They have pierced my hands and feet,' David says, 'They divide my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing.'  “Eloi, Eloi,lama sabachthani?  Centuries later, Jesus would echo David's words:

About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi,lama sabachthani?”—which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" - Matt. 27:46 NIV

Down through the years, many of God's chosen, pilgrims and martyrs, all those afflicted with pain and suffering, have cried the same words.  'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?  And the answer remains the same.

You who fear the LORD, praise him!
   All you descendants of Jacob, honor him!
   Revere him, all you descendants of Israel!
For he has not despised or disdained
   the suffering of the afflicted one;
he has not hidden his face from him
   but has listened to his cry for help
. - Ps. 22:23-24 NIV

God has not hidden his face from those he loves.  Never.  He never has, he never will. 

2010 Post -Psalms 20-22:  Some May Trust in Chariots

No comments:

Post a Comment