Thursday, June 9, 2011

Psalms 56-60: Pursued by the Enemy

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me,
   for in you my soul takes refuge.
I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings
   until the disaster has passed.

I cry out to God Most High,
   to God, who fulfills his purpose for me.
He sends from heaven and saves me,
   rebuking those who hotly pursue me
; - Ps. 57-1-3NIV

It's one thing to be pursued by your enemies as David was on many occasions.  It's another to be pursued by your own mind, but the evil thoughts and desires that would overtake us and result in an even more deadly ruin while thwarting God's purpose for our lives.  Some of us are haunted more than others, but we all have those evil thoughts cross our minds from time to time.  I take comfort in the fact that even the Apostle Paul was plagued by these warring factions.

For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? - Rom. 7: 22-24 NIV

And whether the enemy is real or just internal, our response has to mirror that of Paul and David.  Paul when he said, that it was Christ who would rescue us and David when he said  With God we will gain the victory, and he will trample down our enemies. (Ps. 60:12)  Instead of bemoaning the fact that we are constantly pursued on one front or another, we gain the victory by acknowledging that it is only God that can beat down all of our enemies.

2010 Post - Psalms 56-60:  Be Exalted O God

No comments:

Post a Comment